Spain Forum
Forums Index / All Things Spanish Username Password Signup Now!
Forgotten?
Topic: Good areas in spain.
User: charles and amanda (view profile)11 Feb 2010 - 00:08
Hi, Me and my wife are considering moving to Spain.
We have never been and don't know which areas are good and which to avoid.
We like fairly rural but with town not too far away.
We would be looking for a small town house or similar for long term rental
Any advice would be very much appreciated.
Charles.

User: granaina (view profile)15 Feb 2010 - 10:13
Hi Charles & Amanda

A lot depends on whether you can speak Spanish or not (or on whether you'd be prepared to work hard at it and learn quickly when you get there). Personally, I much prefer the less touristy areas of Spain, simply because they are more Spanish (what's the point in moving abroad only to live entirely among people of your own nationality?), but obviously you really do need to speak Spanish in many areas.

Other than that, I can only really suggest you go on a long holiday, maybe taking in the area around Barcelona, valencia and further south. I'd also recommend Granada (or just outside). alternatively, if you would like to be near English speakers, anywhere just away from any of the main coasts - you'd be surprised at how rural many of those towns are.

User: charles and amanda (view profile)24 Feb 2010 - 15:28
Hi Granaina,
Thanks for your reply.
We Don't speak Spanish yet, but I'm sure we'll pick it up fairly quickly.
We also prefer the less touristy areas. We presently live in Mousehole, Cornwall UK which is so full of tourists all year round.
We wouldn't mind being close to some  English speakers but close to Spanish people also.  We are both artists. I had to leave my employment as a teacher as I became ill with Fibromyalgia. It's a bit like M.E so I have to rest when I need to. This is why I'm working towards becoming self employed.
We were hoping to rent somewhere for maybe one year initially, and then look around from there. One other thing is that we need to be in an area where the weather is warm and fairly consistent, as my illness makes me very sensitive to cold and sudden temperature change.
Well, I'll have a look at those areas you suggest.
Thank you so much for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Take care.  Charles.

User: granaina (view profile)25 Feb 2010 - 13:19
Granda is probably not for you then, as it gets very cold in winter. the south coast has the warmest winter temperatures, and there are a few towns just away from the coast which have a good mix of english/spanish speakers, eg Coin, Mijas, or competa

User: technoviking (view profile)18 May 2010 - 10:29
hi is spain good?

There are currently 51 visitors using this site.     FS Forums v1.00 © 2004 Future Shock Ltd.

Note: You must be logged in to post replies and create topics.