Spain Forum
Forums Index / All Things Spanish Username Password Signup Now!
Topic: Car tax
User: Abi Jones (view profile)12 Jul 2009 - 19:00

What do we do about car tax?  I know that we will have to register our car, change lights, number plates etc. but what about tax?  We will have about 5 months left on our British tax and want to get a refund on it, do we still have to have a British tax disc when we drive in Spain?
Thanks very much

Abi Jones

User: granaina (view profile)17 Jul 2009 - 09:47
Hi Abi

registering your car in spain will mean that the car becomes Spanish (as it will have spanish plates). as such, you then have to pay spanish road tax, not uk road tax. so yes, you will be able to get a refund in theory, although in practice I doubt you'll get the registration process completed in 5 months.

In the meantime, you should keep your uk tax because technically, the insurance will not be valid without it

User: BRIAN48 (view profile)28 Mar 2010 - 20:42
When you bring in a car from England and want to change it to Spanish plates you have to get a "Padron"
and when you get it you have 1 month to change it to stop paying "Import Tax".When I did my car it took
about a week. If you do not speak Spanish than it will be help full to get some one how can as you have
to go to the trafico and get a "ITV" ( Spanish MOT )Also you have to go to the British Embassy all this
will cost as much as 600 - 1000 Euro's. I was told that if you pay import tax it can be in the 1,000's
Hope this will help.

Search Forums       Most Recent Topics       Your Favourite Topics
There are currently 42 visitors using this site.     FS Forums v1.00 © 2004 Future Shock Ltd.

Note: You must be logged in to post replies and create topics.