Spain Forum
Forums Index / Spain Jobs Username Password Signup Now!
Forgotten?
Topic: retired,broke and cold
User: johnandmags (view profile)25 Jan 2009 - 18:00
Hi we are nearing retirement and are looking forward to retiring to Spain. In England I make a lot of home-made jams and pickles, cakes. pasties, sausage rolls, sweets etc, I have a market stall here and sell my products,can anyone living in Spain tell me if they know anything about the market situation in Spain and wether I could run a market stall in this wonderful warm country, its gotta be better than the market rain here???

User: granaina (view profile)26 Jan 2009 - 11:42
Hi John and Mags

Most tourist towns have at least one outdoor weekly market (as opposed to the municipal markets, which are open every day but are indoors and away from the town centres). I don't know how much stalls cost, but I imagine the rates are similar to those in the UK. The people to ask would be the ayuntamiento (town hall) for wherever you intend to move to. do you speak spanish?

User: johnandmags (view profile)26 Jan 2009 - 18:27
Hi thanks for replying. We dont really speak much Spanish but can understand a bit. I have sent e-mails to the Town Hall(in spanish) but have not recieved any replies. I know where and when the markets are on as we have researched it on the net, and we know most villages have markets on different days of the week in different villages.I just cant seem to find out where to get any information as to how we go about securing a pitch on a market, costs and any licences we require. As you have lived in Spain for a couple of years do you think my home-made produce would sell well or am I wasting my time? I know I am only going to be aiming at the ex-pat community but I dont exoect to earn a fortune just a little to live a bit better.

User: granaina (view profile)29 Jan 2009 - 09:43
I have actually seen an english stall selling home-made preserves - I bought some marmalade. But I only saw one - I don't think it's a saturated market at all. You do need to go for expat areas though, although you might get some Spanish people interested in the cakes (we English are famous for our cakes!)

I'm not sure how good town hall officials are with email - I suspect not very. did you send a google-translated email? (in which case it may be hard for them to understand). I think you probably need to do a fact-finding trip.

User: defrank (view profile)8 Feb 2009 - 19:49
it can be done once you´re in Spain, depending on where you gonna live at, sure you won´t get any replies from the council,it generally takes some time and money ´till you get there,
regards, Frank
www.about-spain.es

User: johnandmags (view profile)8 Feb 2009 - 20:45
thank you for replying
We are looking forward to a visit in a couple of months to source out suppliers of glass jars and ingredients.
We will make english cakes to sell as well as preserves, included in our range of cakes is a lovely moist fruit cake, lemon drizzle, carrot cake, chocolate sponge, and all the usual oldie ones, we also make plain and chocolate covered shortbreads, also flavoured shortbread such as cinnamon and ginger, we make pasties and sausage rolls and another thing we do is ready meals for one or two people, such as curry, shepherds pie, beef stew and dumplings and meat pies.
We live on a farm at the moment and grow all our own veg and fruits so making a lot of different preserves are second nature to us and we really like getting a living off something we really enjoy doing.

User: inspire59 (view profile)29 Jul 2009 - 17:16
Hi, best wishes on your venture!
At some point in the future, I'd like to visit Spain and would love to meet up with you when you finally move there.
I'm considering moving to Spain myself when I turn 55

There are currently 50 visitors using this site.     FS Forums v1.00 © 2004 Future Shock Ltd.

Note: You must be logged in to post replies and create topics.